Planning for Shutdowns, Turnarounds and Outages

After attending this 3-day course, you will save time and money on your next shutdown. Our promise for this program is that you will have a new and deeper understanding of how to effectively manage large maintenance jobs such as power plant outages and refinery refits. This course is 85% concerned with the time before the shutdown begins. The remaining 15% is the execution tactics to keep the project on course.

This course includes specific checklists, procedures, strategies and important outside resources that will improve your current shutdown planning and execution. The course also includes examples to demonstrate the major points.

NOTE: While some industries use the phrases outage, shutdown and turnaround interchangeably, other industries ascribe very specific and different meanings to the terms. From the perspective of planning, however, in this course we have decided to use the terms interchangeably.

In This Training, Learn How To

  • Develop a checklist of everything to consider before the shutdown and when to consider it
  • Evaluate the effectiveness of your current shutdown effort
  • Measure your shutdown efficiency by benchmarking with world-class shutdown strategies
  • Formulate good contractor relations to further reliability
  • Unearth tools and technologies that can smooth the process and create a backbone for effective plant maintenance and reliability
  • Collaborate and balance out contractor engagement and in-house staff to obtain an effective workflow
  • Reduce unnecessary costs incurred by properly planning, executing and closing your shutdown

Who Should Attend Training

Successful shutdowns, turnarounds and outages require the disciplined application of proven processes and interdepartmental partnerships. It is important for departments that are influenced and impacted by the processes to understand them. People in the following roles should participate in this training:

  • Maintenance Planner/Schedulers
  • Production Supervisors
  • Storeroom Managers
  • Maintenance Managers and Supervisors
  • Operation Coordinators
  • Plant Engineers
  • Outage Coordinators
  • Reliability Engineers
  • Facilities Managers
  • Project Managers
  • Asset Management Specialists
  • Quality Assurance
  • Procurement

What Our Students Are Saying

"I was truly enlightened on the matters of real maintenance and all associated practices that make up the system. It has also drawn me to implement and establish a good maintenance system in my company in days to come. I appreciate most the real case studies used in class and can relate to every topic."
- Joshua Sang, Mechanical Engineer, JAC Malaysia Sdn Bhd

“Planning is simple. However, the majority fail to perform or execute tasks due to poor planning. This event has acquired knowledge and goal setting for my company in the future.”
- Petronas Gas Berhad, Malaysia

Additional Information

Each course includes a comprehensive active learning manual, morning and afternoon refreshments, lunch, and the use of a fully equipped e-business center. Class hours are 8:30am to 4:30pm Tuesday through Thursday. Virtual course hours that run from 11am-5pm EST. All students completing a class at the Life Cycle Institute will receive a certificate of completion awarding CEU’s.

Related Resources:

Video View Tim Kister's Video: "Maintenance Work Planning: 5 Elements to Consider"

For More Information on Planning for Shutdowns and Outages Training

800-556-9589 |

Acrobat Reader Icon


Course Dates

August 9-11, 2022

Course Information

Price: $1,895
CEUs: 2.1

Course Locations

Life Cycle Institute
4360 Corporate Road
Charleston, SC 29405

The Ohio State University College of Engineering
356A Bevis Hall,
1080 Carmack Rd.,
Columbus, OH 43210

Clemson University
Center for Corporate Learning
One N. Main Street
Greenville, SC 29601

The University of Kansas
Edwards Campus
Regnier Hall, 12610
Quivira Road
Overland Park, KS 66213

Washington State University – Everett
915 N. Broadway
Everett, WA 98201

Share This

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share via email